Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Deathbed Visions - Real or Not




Deathbed Vision Phenomena
“DVP”

The jury is still out on DVP experiences.
All over the world many individuals of different or no religious beliefs seem to experience some similar form of DVP as they come closer to their final breath. It can be weeks, days or hours before they pass. These visions give comfort and peace to the person who is dying.

The questions family members most often ask are:

• Should I ignore when my love one sees or talks to people who have already died or that I cannot see or hear? Should I tell them there is no one there?
Ans: No
If your love one is at peace with the vision(s), then it is his/her right to experience it and enjoy the comfort it brings.

• Should I talk with them about their vision as it is happening?
Ans: Yes
Ask a few questions in support of the vision. 
"Do you know who he/she is that is waiting for you?" 
"Are they talking to you or just waiting?"
I strongly suggest you do not tell them they are imagining the vision; that there is no one there. This is their vision and not yours.

 Should I talk to other family members or caregivers when / if a vision occurs?
Ans: Yes
We fear what we don't understand, so the most common approach is to say nothing for fear of being labeled crazy, or laughed at. Often talking with others let's them share if they too have noticed this behaviour. In some cases it brings great comfort to family members knowing others are waiting to show their love one where to go, or what to do once they pass.


The visions experienced most often

1   "I see someone" (or two people) who have already died. Some may have died many years ago.  Your love one may not speak but looking into a corner of the room or up at the ceiling, often with a smile on their face. They seem more at peace.

2   Some version of "I must get ready for my trip. I'll be leaving soon." or "I need to get my house in order. I'm leaving shortly."

3   The vision starts with one or two people followed by others arriving until there is a "Group" of people they can see. "It's so crowed in here, look at all these people.

The above comments and responses are based on my own experience. It can not be scientifically proven one way or the other if visions are real.  I have experienced others as their vision occurred; I choose to believe they are real;  that after death, there is a continuation of life (spiritual) in some form.  


Bill Robson C.A.E., ATM gained his experience in grief as a
  • Grief Counselor
  • Distress Telephone Centre Trainer  
  • Hospice Volunteer
  • Group Facilitator, Bereavement
  • Youth & Family Counseling

There are resources in most communities, send a quick note to myself and I will do some homework, sending you the information. You can also seek out your local volunteer bureau for a list of organizations.

The hardest step in regaining the sense of control is to ask for assistance. 
This is not a weakness, it is a strength.





No comments: