Friday, July 11, 2014

My Journey with Bereavement



Having counselled children after their parent(s) were killed in a car accident; a young couple when their infant was stillbirth; a wife in a hospital room when the doctor shut down the life-support systems for her husband and many similar life experiences; I have some understanding of the emotional struggles of a person dying, death of a loved one and the grief / bereavement journey that follows.

I have supported these families and spent many hours visiting their loved one as their loved one faced the final days of his/her life. I have attended many Visitations and Funerals in celebration of the life of the person who died; and continue today to provide hope for families (before and after the death of their loved ones).

But even more importantly, I have experienced my own loss and experienced all the emotions and heartache of which I speak.

People will tell you what you should and shouldn't feel and how you should and shouldn't grieve.  Ignore them.

There are resources in most communities that can help.  Email me and I will do some homework, sending you the information. You can also seek out your local volunteer bureau for a list of organizations.

The hardest step in regaining the sense of control is the first one.   Ask for assistance. This is not a weakness, it is a strength.

Bill Robson C.A.E., ATM gained his experience in grief as a
  • Grief Counselor
  • Distress Telephone Centre Trainer  
  • Hospice Volunteer
  • Group Facilitator, Bereavement
  • Youth & Family Counseling




No comments: